Wokingham Borough Council initiative – Homes for the Future
Wokingham Borough Council has recently delivered its Homes for the Future leaflet to every household in the borough. The leaflet is about the current Local Plan Update (LPU) consultation and is the beginning of a new Local Plan to set out how the borough will grow in the future.
This updated Local Plan will guide where and how growth will take place in the borough in the years up to 2036. The Borough Council is aware it needs to plan for more housing, which is always a complex and controversial subject. It also needs to plan for new employment, schools, roads, parks, shops and community facilities necessary to create places people want to live, work and do business.
One of the key reasons for needing the LPU is that the Government has recently updated the National Planning Policy Framework (NPPF) and the supporting guidance. This includes a new, standard approach for calculating the number of homes each local authority must plan for.
What’s the timetable?
The timetable for the Local Plan Update has been reviewed and agreed by the Council’s Executive on 25 October 2018. It is expected that the LPU will be completed (‘adopted’) in Spring 2022. The newly updated Local Development Scheme shows more information on the timetable. Please see: Local Development Scheme WBC
The Borough Council is currently consulting on the LPU, and is asking local residents their views on how development should be managed across the borough and where development should take place.
Most residents should have received the Council’s Homes for the Future leaflet. Please see: Homes for the future FINAL
To have your say, please complete the Borough Council’s Survey HERE
Wokingham Borough Council will be holding a number of events over the next few months. All events run from 19.00-21.00 and are at the following places:
- Winnersh Community Centre, New Road, RG41 5DU – Tuesday 4 December 2018
- Wokingham Without St. Sebastian’s Memorial Hall, Nile Mile Ride, RG40 3BA –Monday 7 January 2019
- Twyford Loddon Hall, Loddon Hall Road, RG10 9JA – Thursday 10 January 2019
- Wokingham Town Hall, Market Place, RG40 1AS – Wednesday 16 January 2019
- Shinfield Ryeish Green Sports Centre, Hyde End Road, RG7 1EP – Tuesday 22 January 2019
- Arborfield Henry Street Garden Centre, Swallowfield Road, RG2 9JY – Wednesday 30 January 2019
- Earley Trinity Church, Chalfont Close, RG6 5HZ – Wednesday 6 February 2019
- Woodley Oakwood Centre, Headley Road, RG5 4JZ – Tuesday 12 February 2019
To stay up to date, please sign up HERE