The project, in conjunction with the Wokingham U3A, the Reading U3A and partnered with Woodley Town Council, Woodley Library, the Museum of Berkshire Aviation, Reading Borough Libraries and the Berkshire Record Office, explores the history of Woodley’s shops, dating the first shop to circa 1854.
According to the 1847 Kelly’s Directory of Berkshire, Woodley was described as “a scattered village and consists principally of farm houses”. By 1854, there were three shopkeepers in the village, while the first actual shop on Crockhamwell Road was Bertie and Beatrice Ambrose’s Fish & Chip shop in 1939.
Interestingly, the first shopping centre in Woodley was on Headley Road and the first stage of the Crockhamwell Road shopping precinct was not developed until 1965.
Further interesting facts and photos are displayed along the corridor towards the Woodley Town Council offices in the Oakwood Centre.